[Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)
From: mdurham@AetherSystems.com (Marty Durham)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:50:34 -0500
I think it really boils down to 'what is the definition of directivity'?
Witness Vertical antennsa used in the commerical world...they may have
10-15db of gain...as a so called OMNI directional antenna...but the gain
comes out of depressing the antenna pattern so that the majority of the
major lobe has a 'footprint' that makes the radiated energy 'usable'...and
of course the 'gain' is ...as measured against some 'standard' radiating
element...1/4 wave, dipole, etc..

Marty
W1MD