[Amps] 10 Meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 10 Meters
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:08:02 +0000
Peter Chadwick wrote:

>Steve said:
>
>> I usually find that extra syllables in the  phonetics work better.
>
>This is the heart of the matter. There's no other radio service that so
>consistently runs with the low signal to noise and high signal to interference
>levels that the amateur service does. (I don't count CB as a radio service!) So
>the greater syllabic redundancy of the long words helps.

I remember having great difficulty getting a weak Spanish station to
understand the phonetic "Sierra" in my callsign (in spite of it being a
Spanish word) but the longer "Santiago" worked immediately.

Likewise there's sometimes too little difference between "Echo" and
"Kilo"... but "Kilowatt" always works  :-)

>Not that I would recommend going back to the 1932 alphabet, where it was
>Xanthippe for X!

"X-ray" is a particularly bad choice, because some languages pronounce
it "ex" and others "ix" - which is probably why the French seem to
prefer "Xylophone" (pron. "zeel-o-fon", but quite unmistakable after
you've heard it once).

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek