[Amps] 10 Meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 10 Meters
From: Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:45:02 -0000
Steve said:

> I usually find that extra syllables in the  phonetics work better.

This is the heart of the matter. There's no other radio service that so
consistently runs with the low signal to noise and high signal to interference
levels that the amateur service does. (I don't count CB as a radio service!) So
the greater syllabic redundancy of the long words helps. many of the 'standard'
phonetics are too short (lacking in redundancy) and too easily mistaken under
poor S/N conditions. For areas like air traffic control where there is more a
problem of rapidly passing information to non - native English speakers under
conditions of high SNR and hopefully low interference, the Alpha-Bravo works
well.

Not that I would recommend going back to the 1932 alphabet, where it was
Xanthippe for X!

73

Peter G3RZP