[Amps] Bias Zener Diodes In Parallel ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Bias Zener Diodes In Parallel ?
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:19:41 -0700
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:45:42 -0400 "Douglas R Snowden"
<Douglas.R.Snowden@noaa.gov> writes:
> That is what I was sort of thinking would happen.  Most of the
> to this list without someone calling you stupid.
>  Gee- at least I am doing some building unlike most hams.
> I did not consider the fact that I was actually pushing the diodes.
> The reason I am running several in series is because the amp is a
> pair of
> Russian GI7 triodes and needs more bias than usual  ~30volts
> or so.  Sounds like I need to go with the xsistor/zener. Or a big
> zener.
>
> Doug

Hi Doug,
   If you need an adjustable bias, you might consider a TL431 (good to
36V without additional parts) in conjunction with an appropriately
heatsinked PNP power transistor (See either the National or TI
databooks... or websites?).

   And if you are concerned with arc protection add an R to the pass
transistors collector path to source the gate of a crowbar SCR.

73 & Good evening,
   Marv  WC6W

*