[Amps] KW Linear for FT-817

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] KW Linear for FT-817
From: doug@nc.rr.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:06:33 -0400
It has been some years since I worked at ITT's Mackay Marine division. But I
know that back in the 80s there were a few commercial HF amps that were
designed to be driven by 100 mW exciters. Mackay (and several of the
competition) had an HF amp which consisted of a 3CX1500 driven by a
broadband solid state brick amp. The solid state amp was mounted underneath
the tube in the plenum assembly. A separate 2-30 MHz 100mW exciter drove the
thing and was mounted in the same rack. These things were mounted on ships.

Anyway, it would seem to me that a broadband solid state 100W PA (something
the CB crowd has had for years) could be used to drive a tetrode like the
4CX1600 (or one of the other Russian tubes) in grid-driven service to
provide a reasonably simple legal limit amp suitable for use with a 5W
radio. Of course it adds the complexity of a 15-20A supply for the solid
state amp, but switching supplies are lightweight and cheap these days.

73,
Doug, K4DSP