[Amps] Diode Bias Strings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Diode Bias Strings
From: w6frmarv@dslextreme.com (Marv Gonsior)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:26:10 -0700
I would like to ask the proponents of series rectifier diode strings if
they have ever measured the developed bias between the minimum and full
power conditions?  I've done it with a Henry 3K Classic X, using and 8877,
and the bias soared about 6V from zero to full signal.  Read that power
limiting that must result in additional distortion products.  I couldn't
wait to dump Henry's Semtec diode pack and put in a 50W,12V Zener.  IMHO,
there is nothing worse than diode strings as a biasing element.  Further,
just ask the G-land 6M ops what they think of the bricks that find their
way into cluttering up the band with relatively high levels of splatter
resulting from diode bias.  Ian et al, are you listening?

73,

Marv, W6FR