[Amps] Diode Bias Strings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Diode Bias Strings
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:42:47 -0700
Hi Marv,

The Semtech rectifiers have higher than the usual ".6V" Vf, by design,
because they use what's called a suprataxial junction structure made like a
sandwich, using two slices if silicon per die (not one).  Drawback is higher
than typical Vf (compared with epitaxial or double-diffused); advantage is
very low Ir (leakage), especially at elevated junction temperatures.  The
Semtech typical rectifier is rated to 175 degrees C Tj (industry standard is
150), and many were rated to 200 degrees C, where ordinary diodes become
intrinsic (short circuits).

-WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti