[Amps] 2, 3-400Z's on SIX? de VY1JA

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 2, 3-400Z's on SIX? de VY1JA
From: conrad at g0ruz.net (Conrad G0RUZ)
Date: Tue Feb 18 17:53:43 2003
On 6m it becomes critical for efficiency to keep the loaded Q down. With 2
tube amplifiers the output C is significant and it is difficult to get
loaded Q's of below about 30. So I have found it useful on 6m to use
'flapper' type capacitors for C1, these need only be about 1-5pf , which
helps keep the loaded Q as low as possible. You need to have the ratio of L
to C as high as possible. Steve's values for C1 and C2 are spot on in my
experience. These flapper type capacitors are very cheap indeed and if you
put some PTFE between the plates will stand very high voltages, you can see
examples here http://wd7s.home.att.net/gallery-2.htm and here
http://www.nd2x.net/EA3AXV.html, two slightly different approaches but both
work well. I prefer the WD7S method personally because I always feel uneasy
about RF grounds going through standard metric brass threads, I like the big
wide copper strap approach. Also because of the relatively high loaded Q I
would use 10mm wide silver plated strap for L1, certainly nothing smaller
than 6mm copper tube. I have built quite a few amps like this, mainly using
the GS35B and it has worked very well for me. Not original but cheap and
easily made.

Regards

Conrad G0RUZ