[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: RFlabnotes at aol.com (RFlabnotes@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 08:29:03 2003
Rich:
       Send one of those suppressors and I will do a thorough measurement.
Let's stop all the hand waving and get some real numbers. It would also be
helpful to make one identical to the kryptonite one but wound with pure
copper wire (don't forget to leave off the varnish - we don't want to kill
that baby's Q.) I am probably offering to repeat something that was already
done a while ago, but there is no such thing as too much evidence to prove or
disprove a point.

       Here is another fact for everyone who is following this debate to
consider. The DC resistance of standard Ni-Cr is around 64 relative to
copper, but its AC resistance, especially at VHF, is proportional to the
(sqrt) of F, so it is really only around 8 times more resistive. The
relavence of this is entirely determined by what percentage of total circuit
loop this represents. If that resistor is wound with 2" of wire, its RF
resistance will be in the same ballpark as 16" of Cu wire. I do not have a
reliable opinion of this, at this point. I would have to see the whole
electrical and physical layout.

       Anyway, let's measure one of these things and get some reliable
numbers to work with. I will send shipping address offline.

Eric von Valtier K8LV