[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Mon Mar 10 10:38:43 2003

>Rich:
>       Send one of those suppressors and I will do a thorough measurement.
>Let's stop all the hand waving and get some real numbers.

**  If Mr. Rauch agrees to send one of his suppressors, yes.  What
instrument do you have access to for measuring impedance, admittance and
parallel-equivalent resistance?  The measurements need to be made at
100MHz and 150MHz since that will cover both Henry's as well as
Ameritron-MFJ's 3-500Z amplifiers.

> It would also be
>helpful to make one identical to the kryptonite one but wound with pure
>copper wire (don't forget to leave off the varnish - we don't want to kill
>that baby's Q.) I am probably offering to repeat something that was already
>done a while ago, but there is no such thing as too much evidence to prove
>or
>disprove a point.
>
>       Here is another fact for everyone who is following this debate to
>consider. The DC resistance of standard Ni-Cr is around 64 relative to
>copper, but its AC resistance, especially at VHF, is proportional to the
>(sqrt) of F, so it is really only around 8 times more resistive.

**  At what frequency?  At 50MHz, Ni-Cr #18-wire is c. 5.5 x more
resistive than #18 Cu.

>The relavence of this is entirely determined by what percentage of total
circuit
>loop this represents. If that resistor is wound with 2" of wire, its RF
>resistance will be in the same ballpark as 16" of Cu wire. I do not have a
>reliable opinion of this, at this point. I would have to see the whole
>electrical and physical layout.

**  Since all of the anode current passes through the R/L vhf suppressor,
it's not all that complicated.

>       Anyway, let's measure one of these things and get some reliable
>numbers to work with. I will send shipping address offline.
>
>Eric von Valtier K8LV

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end