[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Sun Mar 9 19:11:22 2003

>> Bottom line, the mods fixed the arcing, and I spent less than $3.00.
>> I'd like to ask Tom why these work -- he seems only to say that
>> parasitics don't exist, and the mods don't make sense.  If that's the
>> case, why is my amp now working so much better?  The filiment mod is
>> very clear to me, same with the step-start mod.  Why is this such a big
>> deal?  If you make your own suppressors, you'll spend very little, and
>> certainly won't hurt anything.
>
>You can hurt VHF stability Joe. The Measures suppressors I have measured
>actually increase VHF Q.
>
>What Rich overlooks is his suppressors with lower Rp are in SERIES with a
>long system.

**  the VHF suppressor is in series with the anode.  Since VHF-gain =s
transconductance x VHF-Rp,  converting the series R of the suppressor to
the parallel equivalent, Rp, is useful.

>In that case, lower series resistance means higher Q in the
>system.

**  True, but high series resistance produces low parallel-equivalent
resistance, which lowers amplification.  [Ref. figures 12 and 18 on my
Web site]

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end