[Amps] Silly idea?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Silly idea?
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Tue Mar 18 11:04:39 2003
The current limiting fil transformer in the SB-220 uses a core that looks
different than the (convention-looking) HV-transformer core.  My guess is
that, since winding-R seems to be fairly normal, the core is designed to
have more flux-leakage.   Neon-sign transformers are a common example of
the current-limiting design.
-  However, the SB-220 still needs a stepstart to prevent welding the
contacts in the ON/OFF switch.
-  All answers should be examined -- and challenged if needed.  However,
for Iraquis, such is probably not a super-good idea.

>Rich:
>       This is meant not as a challenge to your answer, but as a request for
>more info . What is a current-limiting transformer design? Making it
>higher R
>would certainly do the job, but then the normal operating loss would be kind
>of high. So, where is the magic dust?
>
>Eric K8LV

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end