[Amps] TL922A and AL80A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] TL922A and AL80A
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed Mar 19 20:31:26 2003
> Since I run a '922, I have a question:  The "quarter S-unit" isn't my
> concern.  But would the added cooling + heavy duty XFMR provide added
> headroom?  In other words, I know it won't affect the signal strength
> much, but would it be cleaner since it could handle higher peaks
> instead of flat-topping & splattering (given the same drive level)?

The only real way to answer that would be to measure the amplifier before
and after the changes on voice, but you can be very sure any changes in IM
performance would be minimal.

The only real improvement would be life of parts if you hammer the amp from
additional cooling. The stock transformers are pretty reliable.

One thing to consider is when you try to soup up something wither low-gain
tubes like 3-500Z's is you will still be tube and drive limited, plus you
have dozens of other smaller parts in the amp. Where do you stop?

You'll still just have a pair of 3-500Z's, and getting good ones seems to be
getting tougher and tougher.

If it were me I'd just run it, enjoy it, and fix what really needs fixing if
or when something eventually goes bad.

73 Tom