[Amps] Coax jumper

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Coax jumper
From: vic at rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Fri Jun 13 08:31:51 2003
Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX wrote:
> I seem to recall that RG-58 is rated at 600 watts at frequencies below 30
> MHz.  This presumes a matched load i.e VSWR at 1:1 which is what should
> exist between the amp and the tuner except during "tune up" which should be
> done at reduced power..  I'd expect that RG-58 to be OK in as much as the
> typical SB-200 will output about 500 to 600 watts.

The limitation in this case is current, not voltage breakdown, so the
duty cycle is relevant.  I believe the 600 watt limit refers to 100
percent duty cycle, so assuming a CW duty cycle of 50 percent (SSB is
less), it should be good for 1200 watts.  Even this is conservative for
non-contest operations.  The symptom of trouble would be that the coax
gets warm!

I used RG58 jumpers for years with an SB1000 at 700-800w CW and never
noticed any heating.  Recently I upgraded to a 1500-watt output
amplifier and finally changed them to RG213.

Vic K2VCO