Re: [Amps] SB220

To: rlm < <r@somis.org>>, ka1xo@juno.com, AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 06:49:42 -0500
At 09:00 AM 11/4/03 -0800, rlm < > wrote:
**** The SB-220 has a current-limiting type filament transformer which limits inrush-I to 60% of what Eimac allows. However, a stepstart is still needed because the inrush-I to the HV-transformer will eventually ruin the SB-220's ON/OFF rocker switch.

What's "eventually?" My SB-220 has been around 30 years so far, and is still running the original switch. Of course, I don't cycle it every QSO -- seems as if I have read that the 3-500Z's filaments don't have a rigid filament life expectation like indirectly heated, more modern tubes, so there's little reason to shut them off. True?

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29. 2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm