Re: [Amps] Henry 8K geneology

To: "Cliff Bond" <WA4MWM@triad.rr.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 8K geneology
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:53:19 -0800

>Greetings...
>
>I am looking at several Henry 8K amps.  They are circa. 1995, 1998 and 2003.
>
>What changes/modifications have been made to the 8K over these years? I
>talked to the factory rep and he told me that there were SIGNIFICANT changes
>a "couple" of years ago, but would not be specific on what they were.

**  One story went around that production was temporarily halted while a
way to improve stability was in the works.  Home builders I talked to
encountered the same hurdle -- which was forseeable (for those who read
spec sheets) since a 3cx3000A7 has 6-times as much feedback-C as an 8877.
 [0.1pF vs. 0.6pF]

>I know the '95 could have only 5 or 10 pre-sets -- now there are up to 24
>available.
>
>Any comments regarding this and/or the 8K in general would be most
>appreciated.  I'm looking for my "final" amp that will handle RTTY and
>contesting at a high duty-cycle and that will hold up well.

**  The 3cx3000A7 has  Extraordinarily-low IMD, an extraordinarily-high
drive requirement, and the recommended Q=5 tuned inputs are a handfull.  .

cheerz, Cliff