Re: [Amps] Henry 8K geneology

To: "Cliff Bond" <WA4MWM@triad.rr.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 8K geneology
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:36:07 -0600
Subject: [Amps] Henry 8K geneology

> Greetings...
>
> I am looking at several Henry 8K amps.  They are circa. 1995, 1998 and
2003.

> What changes/modifications have been made to the 8K over these years? I
> talked to the factory rep and he told me that there were SIGNIFICANT
changes
> a "couple" of years ago, but would not be specific on what they were.  I
> know the '95 could have only 5 or 10 pre-sets -- now there are up to 24
> available.
>
> Any comments regarding this and/or the 8K in general would be most
> appreciated.  I'm looking for my "final" amp that will handle RTTY and
> contesting at a high duty-cycle and that will hold up well.

Changes in the 8-K have been ongoing since ser. #1 rolled out the door...
As each failure occurred, a "fix" was installed, and usually the fix was
included
in each  succeeding amp manufactured. I was on a factory tour several years
ago, and saw major changes in the solenoids that switch the door knob caps
in
and out in the tank circuit. My take is that the 8-K has been continuously
improved
over the years. The newer the better is my opinion. If the price
differential is
significant between two 8-K's, I would get an estimate from Henry on the
cost
of modifying the older amp up to 2003 standards. Then, compare that total
cost
with the 2003 model. Now, you will be comparing apples to apples.

In any case, my opinion on the 8-K is that it has many advantages over any
"table-top" competitor....I do not like multiple-tube amps. By remoting it
away
from the ham shack heat and noise are no longer an issue. This box is truly
loafing
at amateur power levels on any mode. The 3X3 tube should last a ham a
lifetime.
If not, it can be rebuilt by Econco, et al.

Just one old codger's opinion....

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC