Re: [Amps] 4CX1600B

To: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1600B
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:41:24 -0800

>Yo 4CX1600B owners
>
>After many years of faithful service, (rode hard, put away wet), my QRO
>3k amp "banged" during the WW. Easy repair, the bridge rectifier for the
>-160 VDC control grid was shorted. Took longer to replace all the screws
>holding the QRO HFDX-3K amp together then find and repair the problem.
>
>If this was a 4-1000 in my home brews I would replace the parts and never
>give a second thought to continue using the tube, but as it's a 4CX1600B I
>replaced the tube with a new spare.
>
>Anyone have a history on this tube? Once they arc are they ready for the
>(as far as I can throw) pitch in the woods?

***  I would not conclude that the tube arced until an autopsy is done.
If you heard a loud bang, it is unlikely that it was caused by an an
internal arc since an arc inside the envelope makes only a little sound
outside the envelope.
- - -   Does the circuit in which the 4cx1600 is used have a grid
terminating R?  If so, is there an inductor in series with said R?  If
so, how much L?  tnx.

>I could put it back in the amp and see what happens but next summer after
>the contest season.

**  Rich -- If it proves to be a dud, I would like to disembowel it and
publish the autopsy photos of the guts on my Web site.