Re: [Amps] 4CX1600B

To: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>, "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>,"k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>, "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>,"AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1600B
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:11:29 -0600
.

> Both supplies are protected by fuses and both of these opened violently
> if the black vaporized coated glass is an indicator. Both diode stacks
> showed about .2 ohms short on the transformer side of the stack. The
> output side of the +160 supply for the relays was shorted to about 10
> ohms and the output side of the bias stack tested okay.

> Following the AMP reflector's discussion and in the name of science I will
> re-install the tube and jump back but only after the contest season. This
> amp has to be taken almost all apart to get to the LV/BIAS board including
> removing the front panel. All easy to do but putting it back together is a
> royal pain in the cathode.

It might be prudent and useful to install glitch protection in the screen
and bias
supplies, as well as the anode circuit. If done correctly, all you will
loose in
an "event" will be fuses in the respective power supplies. As it stands now,
per your description, the fuses alone are too slow to prevent damage to
other
components, and possibly the tube(s). We are talking only  few bucks here,
not to mention the labor-saving advantages of taking the amp apart each
time.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC