Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Questions

To: "Ed Briggs" <edbriggs@optonline.net>,"Dana Roode" <K6NR@ARRL.net>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Questions
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:13:21 -0800

>The bias is controlled by two zener diodes (controlled by the CW/SSB
>switch).  Does toggling the switch make an appreciable difference in the
>resting current?  Most likely, you have a damaged zener.
>
>It doesn't sound like you had an oscillation; it sounds like you had an arc
>from plate to grid,

**   Agreed, but anode(plate) to grid arcs are typically the result of
loose gold particles , not a ceramic-metal seal leak.  According to
Eimac's 8877's development team, gold migration is the result of an
"oscillation condition" (letter of February18, 1986).  For those with a
high-potential tester, determining whether an envelope has air leakage,
due to a bad seal - or gold evaporation leakage, due to an oscillation -
involves applying (+) and then (-) polarity HV from the anode to the grid
(the Funderberg test).  If the leakage current is the same with both
polarities, air leakage is the problem.  If the I-leakage is more with
positive polarity than negative polarity, the leakage involves gold
particles.  Also, loose gold I-leakage can be reduced by tapping on the
top of the anode, but air I-leakage can not.

>   or maybe a power surge. I've found these will take out
>the grid resistors, zener, meter etc.

**  If a power surge did such damage, would not the HV-filter caps have
been zapped?  To me, kaput grid resistors mean there was an anomaly in
grid current.

>Sorry you're having such lousy luck.

**  Murphy would not agree that luck is a factor.