Re: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier

To: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier
From: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:40:32 -0500
Use a NEMA 6-20R and corresponding plug. For 20 amps, you need #12
conductors or larger.  I use 3 #10 conductors with a 20 amp circuit breaker
on my Centurion.

The three conductors to the Centurion and to your (receptical) are two hot
conductors and ground (not Neutral).  The centurion does not use the neutral
to develop 120 volts for the fan on a 240 v connection.
If you tie it to the neutral, there is a possibility of a voltage
differentail between the amp chassis and the earth ground which can create a
dangerous situation.

You should not tie the ground and neutral together anywhere except at the
service entrance. For additional information see the National Electrical
Code and various study guides at a local public library.

Here is a link where you can see various recepticals, including the NEMA
6-20R.

http://www.evenheat-kiln.com/technical/recept/recept.htm

Cheers.