RE: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:59:12 -0800 (PST)
Okay, okay, I misspoke.  Sorry fellas!!  My amplifier (and clothes dryer, for
that matter) has
only three wires -- two hots and a GROUND.  I would assume that everyone knows
that they are 180
out -- that's how 240VAC works here!!  In my breaker box, the neutral and
ground bars are
connected (My house was built in 1985), and I would never suggest you tie the
ground to neutral in
your amp -- I hope is wasn't taken that way.  I only meant that for measuring
purposes, you should
see the "ground" as neutral.  Sorry for the confusion.  Either way, a 20A 240V
outlet/plug should
work nicely and a good RF ground is still required.

In the interest of learning, how does the separate ground & neutral in the
breaker box work?  Is
the neutral line simply no longer grounded anywhere?  My brother is an
electrician, I suppose I
could ask him, but I'd like to see it here so we can all learn...

Joe,
N3JI