[Amps] Step start resistors

To: amps@contesting.com, amps-bounces@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Step start resistors
From: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:41:21 +0000
Any ideas on what values to use for step start resistors? In the past, I've
tended to choose a value from the available stock - something like 50 ohms,
100 watts, which limits the surge current to just over 4 amps. I expect
that a value such that the current won't exceed the full load primary
current of the transformer is probably best, but any suggestions?

(I'll probably still use what's available in my stock of vitreous enamelled
wirewound resistors about 10 inches long and an 1 inch in diameter,
though!)

73

Peter G3RZP