Re: [Amps] Step start resistors

To: "Peter C," <peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com>," AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>, <amps-bounces@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step start resistors
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 05:31:52 -0800
**  I use a minimum value of R that - when added to the transformer
primary R - does not exceed the mains circuit-breaker (or fuse) ampere
rating.   For example, a Heath SB-220 has 10A breakers and c. 2-ohms of
primary R when wired for 240V.   Thus, to limit inrush-I to 10A, the
stepstart R needs be at least 22-ohms total..  More R adds step time.
As stepstart-R keeps increasing, at some point, the HV will stop rising
before it reaches the desired 60% level which closes the stepstart relay.
  In other words, mo' is not always mo' betta.
-   The typical delay time for a stepstart using a value of R that limits
inrush-I to the circuit-breaker rating is a bit under 1-second -- which
is about the same time it takes for a thoriated-tungsten filament/cathode
to reach full emission.

cheerz, Peter