RE: [Amps] Step start resistors, another solution

To: "Dudley Hurry" <jhurry@austin.rr.com>,"K7RDX" <k7rdx@earthlink.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Step start resistors, another solution
From: "PAUL HEWITT" <wd7s@att.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:14:18 -0800
I've been using SSR's for several years now for various HV supplies.  The
zero crossing "turn on" feature is not enough by itself to limit inrush in
the larger supplies.  Without step-start my 80# 4KV supply will still "hop"
on the bench at turn on as well as dim the lights.  The bench outlet is a 15
foot run of #6 to the panel which is supplied by a 50 foot drop to the
transformer.  I use a second SSR to short a step-start resistor after
500-1000ms, completely quite.  Using a SSR for each 240v line never made any
sense to me as the SSR's built in snubbers always leak some current and
there is never an absolute DPDT "disconnect" from the line, (without pulling
the plug).  The SSR's also need a minimum current demand to stay "on" which
sometimes is not met during stand-by with large value equalizing/bleeder
resistors.  The result is cycling from on to off to on........ hummm!!!!
The best thing about the SSR's, I've never welded one closed!!
Cheers, Paul

PAUL HEWITT
WD7S PRODUCTIONS
QRO HOMEBREW COMPONENTS