Re: [Amps] Transformer varnish removal

To: Phil Harman <pharman@ddd.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer varnish removal
From: Tomm Aldridge <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 05:25:11 +0000
Phil Harman wrote:
As a newbie to the list apologies if this topic has been covered before.

For some years I've been modifying ex PC switch mode power supplies to give
14v @ 20A for various rigs and amps. I do this by making a few component
value changes and rewinding the secondary of the switching transformer. In
order to do the rewind I have to remove most of the varnish from the
transformer and to date have done this by soaking the entire transformer in
mineral turps for a few days. This normally softens the varnish enough to
scrape it off, separate the E cores and start the rewind process. However,
my current batch of transformers don't seem to be effected by the mineral
turps and I can't seem to find a suitable solvent to soften it. Any
suggestions as to a suitable solvent.

73's Phil... VK6APH

---

I used to use a product called "UltraSol" with good results. It would depot almost every epoxy and varnish presented to a beaker of it. Google it to see if it still exists. Care must be taken to make sure any windings you want to keep are not damaged though!