RE: [Amps] Transformer varnish removal

To: "'amps@contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Transformer varnish removal
From: Phil Harman <pharman@ddd.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:39:29 +0800
Many thanks to all those who replied to my request for information regarding
transformer varnish removal. I tried the paint stripper suggestion and it
worked just fine. I've now rewound the transformer and have a fully working
13.8v 20A PSU sitting on the bench.

BTW, I fully agree with Steven, WB2WIK's comments about trying to modify PC
power supplies for ham use by using the existing windings. The only
successful way I've found is to remove all the existing secondary windings
and replace them with a single, high current, winding with enough turns
overhead to ensure good regulation at full load.

Thanks again for the help

73's Phil... VK6APH

---