Re: [Amps] Re: matching network

To: <gdaught6@stanford.edu>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: matching network
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:27:35 -0800

>On 27 Jan 2004 at 19:27, R.Measures wrote:
>
>< snip >
>
>> >Both grids need to be grounded to RF... but they don't *have* to be
>> >both connected directly to chassis.
>>
>> **  which means?
>
>I'm pretty sure Ian means that both grids need to be bypassed to
>ground, if you're going to drive the cathode.
>
>But I think Rich and Ian (and I) agree that doing a "grounded-grid"
>amplifier using one of these tetrodes is a rather silly way to build
>the amp, especially if it requires conversion from a grid-driven
>configuration!

**  Good point, George.  Not only would the conversion be extensive, the
2mA limit on control-grid current would seem to suggest that a 4cx350
could not be driven to 100% of it's emissive capability in g-g operation
without exceeding the 2mA limit  .

>.   Use normal operating voltages on the screen (bypassed
>to ground) and on the control grid (fed through an RFC) and drive the
>control grid with a suitable non-inductive resistor as a non-reactive
>load for the exciter.  Published examples abound!

**  And, if one end of the grid-terminating R is connected directly to
the grid, and the other end  is bypassed to chassis-gnd, the grid-bias
supply may be connected directly to the cold-end of said R.