[Amps] Heathkit Transformers and Meters

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Heathkit Transformers and Meters
From: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:19:48 EST
 Due to the large number of emails I have received concerning the Heath Power
Transformers and Meters I have in stock, I decided it would be best to
respond to the reflector instead of answering each individual email because
it's the
best way to make sure you all get accurate answers.

 I can't be sure these Power Transformers and Meters are from SB-220's but
was told they were when I bought them many, many, many years ago.

 If anyone out there can identify them positively, I would appreciate the
feedback.

 The transformers are in sealed Heathkit boxes marked as follows:

172-4747-2
54-1063

As far as I can see I only have about 4 of them left.

 I am not going to open the boxes to see what colors the wires are.

The meters are in a larger box with the Heathkit name on it, but the
individual boxes inside do not say Heathkit on them. They are marked as follows:

407-146

 As far as I can see I have about 25 of them left, but there may be more in
another box somewhere in the garage.

They are also in the original Heath packing but I have used some of them for
other purposes and can vouch for the fact that they do look like the
Multimeter on the SB-220 I had, and they do come with the illuminator plug-in.

 Hope this answers the questions everyone had about the parts I have.

The following are just general comments I have about replacing the
transformer in the SB-220.

To those folks who asked me what the colors of the wires were;

 That is NOT a good way to cross reference a transformer.

 I have dozens, perhaps hundreds, of transformers in stock that would meet
the color code, size, and weight criteria you provided, and I know for sure
that
none of them would be an 'exact' replacement for the one you have.

 The person who says he has the transformer you need but you may need extra
terminal clearance below the chassis does not sound to me like he really has
exactly what you need, although it might be a very good substitute.

 If the rest of the SB220 is original and in good condition, you should try
to keep it original if possible, even if that means that I don't have the part
you need.

Otherwise:

 I believe Deter Dahl makes direct replacement (Meaning it will fit in the
original location) power transformers that come in the standard power size, a
medium power boost size and a mega power boost size. The oversize ones will
probably require some extra capacitors in the series power supply string, and
maybe a larger zener bias diode, but can provide a serious boost in your peak
output power.

 Regards,

Dennis O.