Re: [Amps] Chimney Material

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Chimney Material
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:13:59 -0600

Ok guys I found a cheap place to get silicone rubber; NAPA, yes the auto parts supplier. They have gasket material 24"x12"x1/32" thick or thicker. for about 5.99 a box rolled up. It a little stiffer but a whole lot cheaper! It will stand temps of over 250 degrees. Check it out! Chuck AI4BB

That translates into $108 per 3x3 ft square x 1/8 inch thick.   So about
the same price as the other sources.   Don't know what the actual temp
rating is, ie if this is F or C.  Most of the stuff that has been mentioned
has 400-500 F temp ratings.  And 1/8 inch stuff would probably be
pretty stiff.  Might not be my first choice for a chimney--but I can see
other applications for it--especially if it is readily available.

But it is interesting enough that I went over to the NAPA web site
and could never find the stuff because the site kept insisting it needed
my car make, model, and year first.  When I put in some dummy
values I was again thwarted.   Another hostile web site that tries
to be so helpful that you can't get there from here!

BTW   Another source I just discovered is American Rubber Group.
http://www.americanrubbergroup.com/            $109 per square yard
of 1/8 inch thick stuff.

73--John W0UN
---