[Amps] Serious design stage

To: Mail list Amplifiers <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Serious design stage
From: Jim Isbell <millenniumfalcon@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:29:15 -0500
After collecting parts for most of a year I am in the serious design stage of a 4-1000A linear. The power supply, because of its size is to be external and connected by a cable.

In the first design I was going to bring the 6500VDC power through a cable to the linear. But then it occurred to me that since the main reason for the separate supply was the size...which is MOSTLY the 12KVA transformer I am using. It might be safer to just make the transformer external and have the rectifiers and filter capacitors in the transmitter case thus allowing the only the transmission of AC, at a lower potential, (using a voltage doubler circuit) in the cable. Thus, by just turning off the input power I could eliminate the potential on the cable instantly...or almost so...while the filter capacitors which are the biggest danger would be in the transmitter cage and would be connected to shorting circuits controlled by the safety switches on the lid of the transmitter.

There must be some reason this is not a good idea as I have never seen it done.

Any comments???