Re: [Amps] Screen voltage regulation

To: thomas.hoeppe@asamnet.de, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Screen voltage regulation
From: Radio WC6W <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 08:36:01 -0700
On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:34:48 +0200 "Thomas Hoeppe"
<thomas.hoeppe@asamnet.de> writes:
> Hello guys,
>
> I am new on this reflector, so may be I am asking a question whitch
> has been discussed before.
> I am looking for a simple design for the regulation of a screen
> supply. I need 800V and about 50 mA. I will have to take care of
> some negative current, so the supply has to be able to do that or I
> will use a 100mA supply and allow 50 mA of current through a
> resistor to ground. My anode voltage is 5 KV, so I don't want to get
> the G2 voltage from the anode voltage.
>
> I am looking for easy and rugged solutions. (KISS.......keep it
> simple and stupid!)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.......
>
> Tom, DJ5RE (DL0AO crew)

Hi Tom,
   This is probably not the answer you seek but, I'm considering a
bidirectional Cuk converter for that spot in a project here.

   I already have a switching supply for heaters, grid bias & control
power so, I can source the converter from the available 300 volts on the
switcher primary.

  Running at 100 KHz, it only takes a small transformer, and a couple
each small chokes, capacitors, small FET's (IRF820's) plus a PWM control
IC (3525) to implement this scheme.

  I'm using a 1:1 transformer in my application for a 375V Screen.   A
2.5:1 part would better serve your 800 volt needs.  You would also need
to use a 1KV FET on the Screen side of the converter.

  The output is adjustable & regulated.   The output FET of the converter
will have an additional gate R to clamp the Screen V to ground in the
event the PWM drive fails.   I also have a separate SCR crowbar circuit
to protect the Screen... just in case.

  This approach runs with 90% or so efficiency, requires no heatsinks on
the FET's, nor any bleed current.

73 & Good morning,
   Marv  WC6W

*