RE: [Amps] HV fuse

To: "'Ian White, G3SEK'" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] HV fuse
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:31:23 -0400

The US broadcast television transmitters using "inductive
output tubes" (IOT) - essentially a single cavity output
with a gridded electron gun - used triggered spark gaps to
discharge the beam (anode) supply.  It's been a while but
I seem to remember 40 KV anode supplies with 1.0 - 1.5 Amp
average anode current ... probably around 4 Amps peak.
If I recall correctly, the power supplies had three phase
bridge rectifiers and capacitor input filters with about
10 uF of capacitance.

The triggered gaps were made by EEG among others.  I saw
the aluminum foil of #20 wire test a couple of times ---
wrap a piece of bare #20 around the end of the "dead man
stick" leaving a 5 cm piece sticking off the end and
reach into a live HV cabinet.  Worked like a charm (just
be very certain you touched AFTER the sense resistor -
a current transformer in one case).

> Bottom line: if you're going to copy OE5JFL's circuit,
> copy *all* of it.
>
> http://www.qsl.net/oe5jfl/flashover.htm

I would be concerned about timing issues in a design that
uses a cascade of devices to withstand the higher voltages.
If they don't all trigger at exactly the same time there
is a real chance of a cascade failure.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK