Re: [Amps] HV fuse

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV fuse
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:44:02 +0100
Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

The US broadcast television transmitters using "inductive
output tubes" (IOT) - essentially a single cavity output
with a gridded electron gun - used triggered spark gaps to
discharge the beam (anode) supply.  It's been a while but
I seem to remember 40 KV anode supplies with 1.0 - 1.5 Amp
average anode current ... probably around 4 Amps peak.
If I recall correctly, the power supplies had three phase
bridge rectifiers and capacitor input filters with about
10 uF of capacitance.

The triggered gaps were made by EEG among others.  I saw
the aluminum foil of #20 wire test a couple of times ---
wrap a piece of bare #20 around the end of the "dead man
stick" leaving a 5 cm piece sticking off the end and
reach into a live HV cabinet.  Worked like a charm (just
be very certain you touched AFTER the sense resistor -
a current transformer in one case).

Bottom line: if you're going to copy OE5JFL's circuit,
copy *all* of it.

http://www.qsl.net/oe5jfl/flashover.htm

I would be concerned about timing issues in a design that uses a cascade of devices to withstand the higher voltages. If they don't all trigger at exactly the same time there is a real chance of a cascade failure.

Thyristors are not like regular transistors. The voltage rating of a thyristor is the maximum that it can hold off before it triggers - not fails, but *triggers*. Also, thyristors can be triggered by a sudden step-up in voltage (dV/dt triggering). Both of these facts are relevant to how the circuit operates.

Due to production spreads, one device in the chain will always trigger first, and this particular circuit is designed to make the rest of the devices trigger correctly in cascade.

Initially, when all the devices are turned off, the chain of resistors and zeners ensures that the total voltage is equally divided between all the devices. When the first device triggers, it suddenly steps up the voltage on all the others. I believe it's mostly the dV/dt effect that then makes the next device trigger... and so on until the whole chain is conducting.

Bottom line: OE5JFL's circuit works. It has been widely copied in the EME community, to protect large UHF transmitting tubes that are becoming very hard to replace at any price.