Re: [Amps] HV fuse

To: Traian <yo9fzs@office.deck.ro>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV fuse
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:08:11 -0700

On Jul 20, 2004, at 12:22 AM, Traian wrote:

Hi Rich,

I think I wrote it wrong. The fuse was not actually destroyed (exploded)
but interrupted, so it did its job. It is quite big, seems to be made from
glassfibre+epoxy compound, hard to be destroyed.

It was the second time when it happened (first was because of a
cracked doorknob cap).
It was "repaired" before using a proper sized thin copper wire as a new
one it was impossible to find here. Even so, it still did its job.
As usual for such mistake, I did learn something new, and now was
about the HV fuses. What is interresting about that HV fuse
(labeled Buss) is that its inside is splitted in two large compartments
separated by a little wall with small hole in it (the wire is getting
through).
Later I found new 3 kV 1 amp glass HV fuses made in the former east
Germany and they have also their interior splitted but this time in three
separate compartments of different size.
Is this the "secret" of the HV fuse, can this to be done as to prevent the
vapor arc?

HV fuses normally contain silica sand to quench the metal vapor arc. I don't know if compartmentalization would accomplish the same thing. cheerz, Trajan
Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org