Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

To: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:03:58 -0700

On Jul 22, 2004, at 2:10 PM, Will Matney wrote:

Rich,
Yes, you are correct. I myself would build it the same as you. The main reason for showing these other ways was because that's how all the manufacturers used to do it and some still do, (diode strings)! I was looking over some schemes used by Alpha, QRO, and a few other manufacturers who are using tetrodes and seen they are still using zener strings. I agree that this does nothing for the IMD and all would like this cleaner (no splatter) but that's what the customer is getting.

Hello, Will -- As I see it, not all zener-strings are equal in performance. A major problem with zeners is that the dissipation ratings are for a case temperature of 25ºC - which is unrealistic except outdoors in a blizzard. Thus, unless the engineer reads All the specs and starts to actually think, the result is bound to stink.
end

However, if someone wants to homebrew an amp with limited resources, they're most likely going to copy one of these circuits that's being used or was used in the past. Myself, I would use a shunt regulator with semiconductors, either transistors or FET's.

Since FETs are virtually immune to secondary breakdown, they are superior to Bi-polars in applications such as this.

If I recall, the tetrode board that Ian White builds uses a FET for the regulation which is as close to a tube as you can get using a semiconductor. Ian, correct me if I'm wrong on this. Actually, some amps screens are running off of unregulated supplies which cause problems. I myself was brought up around tubes which I count a blessing as most don't even teach the subject anymore. This is a shame because anything in broadcasting with any power uses vacuum tubes. Even industrial machinery uses diodes, ignitions, etc yet to this day. I was told that the military, even though they use tubes in their transmitters, do not tech tube theory! So, whats the new technician going to do when he is called upon to repair a final PA? What about the radar scopes and the CRT's all over the place?

CRT monitors are being replaced with TFT and plasma panel-type monitors.

Anyhow, I guess the old saying still goes, "There is more than one way to skin a cat"........

Will Matney

Hello, Will -- The potentiometer method works well AB1 grid bias circuits because there is virtually zero grid current. However, since there can easily be over 100mA of screen current in AB1, the potentiometer method causes screen unregulation which =s IMD. One work-around is to use different value of zeners in the zener-string so that a finer adjustment of screen V results. For example, the 4cx250R requires c. 400V for the screen 12, seriesed 30V zeners would produce 360V. By putting 6, switch selected 10V zeners in series with the 12, 30V zeners, the screen-V could be set to 360, 370, 380, 390, 400, 410, and 420V.
end

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org