Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

To: "DF3KV" <df3kv@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:03:39 -0700

On Jul 25, 2004, at 7:38 AM, DF3KV wrote:

   In the amplifier I am currently building, I will be using an
electronically-UNregulated resonant-choke 1500V screen PS.  The
resonant choke is 9H//0.2uF and a filter C that is seemingly too
big.
The logic here is that since both of my previous "plywood box" ugly
amplifiers used electronically-regulated screen supplies -- which
proved to be the most delicate part of the machine, something
simpler
might be worth a try. Thus, extra filter-C is an attempt to
minimize
voice modulation IMD. With luck, the result won't suck. If it
does, I
will go to a higher tap on the transformer and electronically
regulate
down to 1500V with the + floating regulator shown at
http://www.somis.org/D-a-08.GIF cheerz
end

Hi all,

pretty good experience with screen powersupplies  for large tetrodes
with handles  are  built overhere with 3 single bridge rectified
powersupplies fed by 3 phases and paralleled  at the output, very
stiff!

Indeed, Peter, and a resonant-choke filter for the 300Hz ripple-freq of 50Hz 3-phase needs only around 3.5Hy and 0.08µF instead of the typical 9H and 0.2µF used for 60Hz, 1-phase's 120Hz ripple-freq.
end

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org