Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 03:49:28 -0700

On Jul 24, 2004, at 7:42 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

On Saturday 24 July 2004 12:05, R. Measures wrote:
On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:47 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
Also, with a 2-tone test, it would seem not to matter whether the
screen-V is regulated or unregulated since screen-I is constant and
therefore screen-V would not vary unless the electric-mains V
fluctuated.
end

Doesn't the screen current vary as the rf output varies from zero to peak at the beat frequency between the two tones?

Hello, Steve --- Yes, because there is zero screen-I until the
instantaneous anode-V dips down close to the screen-V -- i. e., the
anode is no longer positive enough to take away all the electrons that
pass by the screen. For instance, with an 8171 @ E-screen = 1500v,
during the RF cycle, the screen current varies from zero to about 900mA
even though the average screen-I is c. 120mA. From the characteristic
curves, it can be seen that most of the screen-I flows when the
instantaneous anode-V dips under 2kV.

The meter reading will be steady
because of inertia.

The screen's RF bypass-C keeps the instantaneous screen-V constant during the RF-cycle.
I'm not talking about the screen voltage and the RF cycle - I'm talking about
the screen current and audio frequencies that arise from the two tone test.

RR. I Understand this,

If I wind the carrier power up and down, the screen current goes up and down.
If I wind the power up and down at 2Hz the screen current goes up and down at
2Hz and the meter needle will follow it. If I wind the carrier power up and
down at 1kHz the screen current goes up and down at 1kHz but the meter needle
indicates steady 'average' current because it can't follow the changes, not
because the current is actually constant. The regulation of the voltage at
the audio frequency does matter. It's tricky winding the power control up and
down at audio frequencies manually, two tones does it more effectively.

I agree, Steve. However, unregulated screen supplies have a filter C that is large enough to minimize 100Hz - 120Hz ripple, so that should minimize V-out ripple (and IMD) when the load current changes at a 1000Hz rate.
In the amplifier I am currently building, I will be using an electronically-UNregulated resonant-choke 1500V screen PS. The resonant choke is 9H//0.2uF and a filter C that is seemingly too big. The logic here is that since both of my previous "plywood box" ugly amplifiers used electronically-regulated screen supplies -- which proved to be the most delicate part of the machine, something simpler might be worth a try. Thus, extra filter-C is an attempt to minimize voice modulation IMD. With luck, the result won't suck. If it does, I will go to a higher tap on the transformer and electronically regulate down to 1500V with the + floating regulator shown at
http://www.somis.org/D-a-08.GIF cheerz
end

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org