Re: [Amps] SAFETY WITH HIGH VOLTAGE

Subject: Re: [Amps] SAFETY WITH HIGH VOLTAGE
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:08:29 -0400
Harold B. Mandel wrote:

When working on the outboard plate supply to my
linear amplifier my hand accidently brushed the Positive
HV stud on the beehive feedthrough and I became slightly
airborne for a second or two.

Oof - that had to hurt. Ten-Tec has a nifty means to ground the anode supply by way of a piece of sheet metal attached via bolt in chassis which can be rotated and rest atop the HV post. Gravity holds the metal in place across the HV post ensuring a fairly reliable means to help prevent accidental HiPot testing.

When I was a young pup in school I used to charge up large filter caps salvaged from old color TV sets - then place them on a table and wait for a hapless victim to discover what they were. It was more satisfying to be out of view but within earshot of these "Tesla Discovery" events.

73 Jason N1SU