Re: [Amps] SAFETY WITH HIGH VOLTAGE

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SAFETY WITH HIGH VOLTAGE
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 04:26:31 -0700

On Aug 22, 2004, at 11:58 PM, peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

I'd agree that the 53 ohm one sounds suspiciously low: I suppose it's
possible it arced from turn to turn and fused that way. can you see
anything wrong with it on a visual inspection?

- - I would autopsy the 53-ohm resistor with a 2oz ball-peen hammer to see whether is was a mis-marked 50-ohm unit or one that had an end-to-end carbon path.

The usual reason for open
circuits in wirewounds is, I was told by a manufacturer,  frequently
corrosion where the coating has a pinhole.

These days, I use two bleeders in parallel, and even then, I don't trust
them!

- - High-resistance wirewound resistors are seemingly one of the most unreliable type of resistors made. This is why I am using MOF resistors wherever possible in the current amplifier project. For example, the anode-supply's electrolytic filter-C equalizer resistors are 22, 100k-ohm, 3w MOF resistors. The (1500v) screen-supply will use 4 of the same resistors However, the screen-supply shunt-I resistor (protects against revere screen-I) will be a 50k-ohm, 100w, wirewound unit.
cheerz, Peter.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org