Re: [Amps] SAFETY WITH HIGH VOLTAGE

To: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SAFETY WITH HIGH VOLTAGE
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:26:53 -0700

On Aug 23, 2004, at 8:49 AM, Harold B. Mandel wrote:

Dear Peter,

On very close examination of the wirewound that measures fifty some odd
ohms,
there IS a pinhole through the ceramic, about midway on the body of the
resistor!

- - Autopsy time.

Thank you.

Hal Mandel
KA1XO

I'd agree that the 53 ohm one sounds suspiciously low: I suppose
it's
possible it arced from turn to turn and fused that way. can you see
anything wrong with it on a visual inspection? The usual reason for
open
circuits in wirewounds is, I was told by a manufacturer,
frequently
corrosion where the coating has a pinhole.

These days, I use two bleeders in parallel, and even then, I don't
trust
them!

73

Peter G3RZP