Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

To: "George" <gclute@comcast.net>, <jsb@digistar.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:50:12 -0700
Sounds like a good reason to have a pair of 4CX2500's.
Enough long RTTY CQ's and those illegal operators might
find their way back down below 28.0 MHz :):)

In terms of enforcement of the power limit, unless you are
attracting undue attention to yourself (bragging within earshot
of your enemies about your mondo amp or if your causing local
TVI/RFI), what would prompt the FCC to roll a van up to your
house to measure field strength? If the offending station is
clean, he is just going to sound like someone with a really
good antenna. The last case I recall of high power enforcement
was many years ago when a BC engineer was running 50KW
to a 75 meter inverted-vee (3895 KHz) in a residential
neighborhood (now that is asking for trouble).

With regard to enforcement against intruders, I keep
seeing enforcement letters from Riley going out to commercial
invaders of amateur spectrum. It is not an avalanche, but at
least there is some activity in that direction.