Re: [Amps] High Temp silcone rubber sheet,was chimney material suggestio

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High Temp silcone rubber sheet,was chimney material suggestion GI35b
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:13:31 -0400
In this instance, bringing the pipe up to the fins at the bottom should work. The pipe ID is 3.998" and the tube's OD is 3.945". If you wanted to bring the pipe up over the fin body, you should use pipe/tubing just slightly larger in ID than the fin bodies OD. Even though the air temp is only about 110 deg. F., the anode temp can get to 200 deg C, or 392 deg. F max at the anode connector. This heat is then dissipated by the fins. It could cause softening if the pipe is touching the fin body, I'm not sure. Some other steel tubes can run hotter than this. Plus there's the RF rating of the plastic. If it'll withstand a microwave test on high heat for about 1-2 minutes, it should be ok.

What I've been looking at is using a fish-paper type tubing. Fish paper is a rag type paper with a clay mixed in. It's heat rating in transformers and other electrical components is good and the flammability is really low. A good stiff piece of fish paper could be made into a tube easily, then glued making a good chimney. I know fish paper can withstand 350 deg F. easily as this is the temp transformers are baked.

Will Matney

K7RDX wrote:

Hot water PVC works perfect with the GS-35b(At hf) and shows no sign of
melting even at full output for an extended period of time. Four inch fits
the tube cooler and I have used this type chimney in my amp here for four
years with no problems.It`s also a lot nicer than trying to brew something
from a sheet of plastic,etc.I have not tried pvc at vhf/uhf....Has anyone ?
Jim,K7RDX.