Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion

To: "Georgens, Tom" <tom.georgens@engenio.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:54:33 -0800
Georgens, Tom wrote:

My theory is that there may be power overshoot from the TS850 on the leading
edge of the carrier that is causing the arcing.  It is hard to see this on
the wattmeter and my 3 other amps all work fine.  Does this seem like a
reasonable theory and is there any way to compensate for this?

To minimize any overshoot, adjust the TS850 as follows: Set the CAR control to give you about 1/4 scale deflection on the ALC scale. Then set the PWR control to give you the desired power output to drive your amp. Finally, back off the CAR control until the power output just begins to drop off (or a little before this). When tuning the amp, use the PWR control on the 850 as needed.

As I said my experiment was flawed but I would like to understand what is
really happening.

A scope would tell you whether there was overshoot. I'm not familiar with the Centurion, but I am very suspicious of any RF sensing arrangements.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco