Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion

To: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:06:21 -0800

On Nov 11, 2004, at 6:13 AM, Bill Fuqua wrote:

I just took a look at some of the emails on this subject. Saying that please pardon any repetition of anything previously mentioned.

When the amplifier is in idle state what impedances does it see on the input and output. Unloaded amplifiers are prone to oscillate at times at resonance not necessarily at VHF frequencies.

Bill --- At HF, there is unlikely to be enough be enough feedback through 0.3pF (20k-ohms at 28MHz) of anode-cathode C to support regeneration.

The parasitic suppressors only eliminate VHF parasitic oscillations.

In my experiences, VHF parasitic suppressors reduce the chances of having one, but they do not eliminate them.

If the cut off bias is removed before the relays make solid contact for on the input an output the amplifier may momentarily oscillate. Or it may just amplify the incoming signal and if the output is not loaded (output contacts not closed quite yet) create a very large voltage across the contacts.
Perhaps the problem is that the bias needs simply needs to be removed a bit later.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org