Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>,"Georgens, Tom" <tom.georgens@engenio.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:25:29 -0800
Rich said:

"RF sensed switching invariably results in the amplifier hot-switching
because RF is already present when the relays in the amplifier begin to
switch.  Hot-switching creates current transients and those in turn ring the
anode circuit's vhf resonant circuit formed by the Tune-C, the Anode-C and
the anode lead's L.  In my opinion, such ringing is the seed signal that
gets fed back by anode-cathode C and initiates a regenerative condition."

Rich, it appears your theory is not consistent with Tom's results.  Tom said
that when the amplifier was rf sensing, it would never arc.  This does not
support your theory that the arcing is due to the rf sensing, does it?

One theory would be that the rf sensing would delay the turn on point of the
amplifier until after the spike of the TS-850 subsided.

I note from the facts presented that the antenna is resonant and swr is
"reasonable".  I suspect a likely combination of the leading edge spike and
enough reactance on 160 meters to allow excess voltage buildup.  On the
other bands, the amplifier is loaded better and the leading edge spike alone
will not cause the arc.

Colin  K7FM

---