Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

To: Clay Curtiss W7CE <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:22:48 -0800

On Dec 5, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Clay Curtiss W7CE wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think about an internal tube short as a
possibility.

Hello, Clay -- An internal tube short makes very little sound. A loud pop is in the atmosphere, not a vacuum

I removed the plate caps from the 3-500's and the HV measures
normal (2100V CW, 3100V SSB). Is it logical to assume that one (or possibly
both) of the 3-500's has developed an internal problem

If the anode-grid leakage is <10uA @ 8kV, the vacuum is good. If the grid-filament breakdown potential is >5kV, the tube should not short when it is hot.

or should I be
looking for other causes as well, such as a bias supply problem. I don't
have access to a hy-pot tester, but a simple resistance check from filament
to grid on both tubes doesn't reveal a short.

Tubes with only a few kV of withstanding potential will grid-fil short when hot, and this problem can not be detected with an ohm-meter.

One thing I didn't mention earlier (because I don't believe it's relevant)
is that the small filament choke (L20) that connects to the filament
transformer center tap, has overheated in the past.
Since one of the tube
filaments came unsoldered from the pin (a simple soldering job fixed it), I
figure all of the extra current flowing through the small choke was the
cause of that. Other than some discoloration, it appears ok.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I don't want to risk my power supply
by blowing more fuses trying to determine which of the tubes might be at
fault.

Does the 922 blow fuses with the tubes removed?

73, Clay W7CE

----- Original Message ----- From: "K7RDX" <k7rdx@earthlink.net> To: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net> Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 5:42 PM Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

Hi Clay, pull the tubes and start the amp again. If plate voltage is
normal
and the fuse doesn`t blow again, shut everything down and inspect the tube
sockets for burnt or damaged rf chokes from the three grid pins to ground.
If one of the tubes flashed over, some of these chokes will probably be
destroyed or at least damaged. 3-500z tubes sometimes develop a short from
grid to filament after a period of use and will flash over on the next
start-up. If you have access to a hypot tester, a shorted tube is easy to
spot...Hope this helps you find the problem...A flashover might damage the
bias as well as the high voltage supply. 73,Jim.