Re: [Amps] SB-220

To: lclarks@nc.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:17:17 -0500
Dear Larry,

Commercial broadcasters leave their transmitters on 24/7.

The most intense time for your amplifier is when it's turned
on from room temperature.

By the time it has warmed up a couple of hours the tubes are
at their equilibrium point as far as the temperature around the
seals, the temperature of the tube socket, etc.

If anything, having an HV standby switch to remove plate
voltage while it's waiting around might reduce the consumption
of power in the associated circuits.

However, you'll probably receive numerous opinions
of varying intensity and you'll just have to decide what's best.

Hal Mandel
W4HBM