Re: [Amps] SB-220

To: "Larry Stowell" <lclarks@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:48:08 -0800

On Dec 27, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Larry Stowell wrote:

I have a SB-220 and am wondering if it is better to turn it off when its not going to be used for a couple of hours? I turn my radio's on early morning and leave them on most of the day.

The good thing about leaving a SB-220 on is that it has a reasonable of filament-V, so not much emissive life will be wasted by wasting the electricity. The bad thing about starting a SB-220 is that the inrush current caused by the C-filter exceeds the peak-I rating of the ON-OFF switch, which will eventually cause the switch to fail. For longest life, install a step-start such as the one at Figure 1 on my Web site and oil the fan bearings every two years.
- cheers, Larry

Larry K1ZW Durham, NC

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org