Re: [Amps] High C out

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High C out
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:34:07 -0500
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:45:16 -0800, Chris <rfcrazy@cox.net> wrote:

Thanks for all the info everyone.  The circuit is just strait Pi.  The C
tune cap backed all the way out unmeshed with minimum capacitance is
where it tuned the best. I removed the C tune vacuum cap and it worked
marvelous but still not optimum. I believe the min. on the cap was
around 15-20pf that I had now removed. The only problem is while it may
tune with just C out capacitance from the tube, I have no way of really
fine tuning now that the C1 is out of the picture.  Vic is correct in
that what I was trying to accomplish was an L-Pi. Instead of adding an
inductor from anode to C1, can't I just change the coil dia. and spacing
between C1 & C2 to accomplish the same thing? Or does it have to be in
an L-Pi configuration to cancel out some of the C out from the tube?

Yes it would have to be in this case a L-Pi, as the tank coil is where it should be at for resonance. This is what I was mentioning earler where some amps didn't need a tune C. I have built amps where only a load C was used just because of this reason and it is written about doing this in several books on the matter. You could try to add the inductance in series with the anode lead so the tune C would raise from zero, but as was mentioned, this may kill the tuning on the lower frequencies. You may also find that doing this where the tune C would be used, with the series L (L-Pi), would not gain anything and be the same output that you have now with it not connected or backed all the way off. There's no way of knowing until you try it. Use the standard air inductor formula in the handbooks for the value of L. L there in the formula would be 0.3 uh for 300 nH. The conductor size would need to be determined for a Q of about 10-12. Most likely the same size conductor as the 10 meter coil uses.

One other thought would be to make a tank coil the same as you have but with the turn(s) added for the 300 nH. Then put a tap where the change is at on the coil (where the 300 nH part starts) and hook the tap to the tune C. It doesn't matter which side of the blocking cap the series L is added. This way would keep plate voltage off the 300 nH coil. 300 nH is a pretty small amount and by guessing may only be 1/2, 1 or maybe 2 turns at the most using the same diameter of the tank coil.

Chris